I woke up Saturday morning a bit cranky, for a number of reasons. First, I had been working hard all week in our yard, spreading dirt and grading. I was super sore and my back felt the most of it. I was also cranky because I hadn't gone to bed until 11pm the night before and my wonderful baby, Ryan, decided he wanted to get up at 5:45 am. So I was tired all over. I got up and started the laundry, folded some clothes and then headed down stairs to start the dishes and clean the kitchen. I like having the house cleaned on Saturday so that Sunday we can really rest from our cares. I was thinking to myself how I was probably going to get nothing for Mother's day, and that if my husband was more considerate, he would have gotten up this morning to get Ryan and let me sleep in. And, he would have gotten the kids up and started them on their chores. He very rarely gets up with the kids when they are babies, but when he does, it is always a big deal to me. I try not to let him get up because I figure he has to work and drive around, and I can handle it most of the time. BUT, since Sunday church starts at 9am, I don't get to sleep in on Mothers day. Why aren't men able to think about these things the way we can? To his credit, he does get up with the older kids often and gets them going in the morning, even making breakfast for them.
Monday, May 9, 2011
Best Mother's Day ever!!
So, I was cranky and having a bit of a pity party for myself. I knew, or at least was 99% sure, that Gary had not done a single thing for me. I am not one of those people who needs lots of gifts to feel appreciated. I am one who feels love and appreciation when others provide service for me. A simple card, an effort made to plan a yummy meal, time out from the kids and the chores! Every mother would love a clean house on Mother's day, but usually that means I cleaned it. I was wanting to work in the yard all day with him to make a bigger dent on the dirt spreading, but Gary had informed me that he would be working most of the day on calls. This was adding to my sour attitude. One more factor, I was not aware of until the next day, was that I was about to "start", and that always puts me in a foul mood.
Gary came downstairs while I was cleaning and gave me a big hug and kiss as he greeted me. I smiled and responded appropriately. He could tell something was off, so he inquired if I was mad at him. Well, of course I wasn't mad at him, I was just preparing myself for a lame mothers day. Now, I have had many great mothers day's, but I was cranky and I was remembering last years mothers day specifically, when I had spent the entire weekend dealing with a nasty flu bug. Gary came down with it the morning of Mother's Day and it was awesome!
Gary hung out with us a while and then decided that we should come with him on his calls. While we were out, we stopped at the T-Mobile store and he bought me a new phone. This was my Mother's Day present. I just have to say, it is awesome! I absolutely love it. It's like having a miniature laptop and ipod plus phone all in one. I spent the day programming it and downloading different apps. This wasn't all I got though. When we came home, we worked in the yard and planted two of my trees in the front. My Autumn Ash had been waiting to be picked up at the nursery, so Gary and I picked it up and after we planted it in the ground, I thought I would cry. My beautiful tree makes my yard feel like it is actually starting to come together. We spent the rest of the day spreading dirt and planting the other tree and staking them in the ground. I had to run and get the kids and picked up the stakes for the trees as well as the peat moss and vermiculite. When I got back, Gary had finished my rock wall I had built to retain the garden and had leveled the dirt and set my grow boxes. It's such a beautiful sight! I know, I get excited over simple things. I made dinner and then went out for a run. I used my new phone and Pandora for my music and it was awesome!!
Saturday was awesome because of all we got accomplished and the time we spent together-plus the phone. Sunday morning, I was awakened by my daughter standing at my bedside breathing loudly at 6am. She was so anxious to give me her gift. She doesn't get the idea that moms actually don't like having their sleep interrupted. She gave me a cute little book she had made that told about all the things she knows about me. It was really sweet. Kaleb gave me a cute card with love coupons inside. I need to remember to use those love coupons. Gary got up shortly after and made me a really yummy smoothie and granola with yogurt and strawberries. Perfect breakfast! He got most of the kids ready and let me take my time. I actually straightened my hair! At church, they gave all the moms haagen daz ice cream miniatures. Best idea ever!! After church I got to relax and clip coupons and read my book. We then went to Yulia and Nate's for dinner and had pot roast. After dinner and visiting we came home and watched the season finale of the Amazing Race. Awesome Mother's Day weekend. I think we should make it into a whole week!!! I am grateful for my mother and all that she taught me. I am also grateful for all my friends and family who are mothers and have all been examples to me in so many ways.
Posted by crazy christensen family at 11:31 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




0 comments:
Post a Comment