The past two months haven't been too bad when it comes to injuries but Christmas break and this past weekend were doozies. Gary had decided to purchase some telemark skis so he could learn how to use them for back country skiing. I was not too keen on the idea but he found a pair with boots for only 100.00, so I didn't fight him on it. he first day he had a chance to take them out he was working at Sundance and the snow was not very good-more like ice. He got about 100 yards down from the lift when he crashed hard on his shoulder separating the AC joint. The good side of it was that ski patrol gave him a ride down the mountain in a toboggan. How many can say they have done that? So I got to drive out to Sundance to get him and take him to the urgent care at Riverwoods. After x-rays, we confirmed our suspicion and spent the rest of the day trying to manage the work schedule. He was back up skiing the following Wednesday. The chiropractor was able to put his scapula back into alignment, which did the most good. With these kinds of injuries, all you can do is rest and then build strength back up. Needless to say, I posted his telemark gear online that afternoon and it was sold the day after Christmas. After the Holidays and the craziness of it all, we were able to unwind and enjoy the new year. I had an awesome day on my birthday. Gary took me to lunch at La Jolla Groves and then shopping. The styles out right now are so ugly, it was difficult to find anything I liked. That evening we went to dinner with a couple of my sisters impromptu and then I went home to my clean and organized bedroom, which I had done that morning while my husband tried to remember what made that day so special. I will have to write about our trip to California later because there are tales to be told.
Tuesday, February 7, 2012
Accident Prone genes
This past weekend we went to a cabin up in Timberlakes for a surprise get together for our good friend Garin Clark's 40th birthday. Man that makes me feel old. I have friends who are forty! Anyway, it was a lot of fun being there with the Draschils, McDaniels, and Clarks. Before we got there, I was packing clothes and asked the boys to get their pillows. Even got his pillow, sat down on the top stair step, put his feet into the pillowcase and sat on top the pillow. He called me to watch him slide down the stairs, so I came over and told him to go ahead. I know, I am a great mom, but they do this all the time and there are never really any injuries. Plus I use to do this as a child at my home. Anyway, about a third of the way down his heels caught the step, which bounced him upright and then the momentum flipped him over onto his face. I was not quite close enough to catch him and he smacked the bridge of his nose on the stair. I grabbed him and pulled him to me before he could continue falling and his nose and mouth filled with blood and began spouting out like a fountain. I have never seen any of my kids bleed this much and for as long as it bled. Gary pulled up right as I was taking him into the bathroom so I called him in for help. He calmed me down and assured me it wasn't broken. It took about five minutes for it to stop bleeding and clot properly. After that, we had to wipe his nose every so often when a bit of blood would trickle down. What a way to start the weekend. Once at the cabin, everything was going well. The kids had a blast staying up way too late each night, playing in the jacuzzi, sledding, playing with the metal wall of movable plumbers pipes and balls, playing Foosball or their interpretation of pool, or exploring the hidden loft and teasing each other. Overall everything went well. The food was good and so was the company. Sunday morning met us with three sick mommas. Yulia had already been fighting sickness with Ayla, so she started coming down with it by the end of the weekend. Ashly and Amy both came down with an intestinal bug that affected Amy a lot more than Ashly, but was still not pleasant. So Garin and I and Drew spent the morning making breakfast, cleaning up, doing laundry and taking care of the checkout duties. During this time, Ryan was standing on a stool putting a ball in a pipe on the wall with the magnetic pipe system, a favorite of many, when Kaleb came around the corner with pillows and knocked him off the stool. He unfortunately fell on a piece of pipe laying on the floor and hit it with his face, next to his right eye. It swelled up pretty quick and we are calling him bruiser and Rocky now. He looks like he went a couple rounds with a professional fighter. It doesn't look good at all. Thankfully he is a trooper.
It was a fun weekend, but I think we will leave the kids at home when we get together for Yulia's 40th next year. Unfortunately, I got the sickness the day after we got home. Looking forward to Valentines day, so I need to go do some shopping for the kids.
Posted by crazy christensen family at 10:13 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




0 comments:
Post a Comment