Friday, February 18, 2011

My baby is turning 1!!!

You can tell you've had five kids when your baby's first birthday is celebrated during a family party and all he gets is a cupcake just like everyone else. I don't have the energy to throw something elaborate together since he won't remember it anyway!! He certainly loved the cupcake! At first, he wasn't so sure, but after he got a taste, he was growling at it and trying to get it into his mouth in big fistfuls. I got pictures. I know, I never post pictures but I have a new years resolution to get all my pictures posted from the past three years and finish my digital scrapbook from 2005-2008. We will see if that happens.

Ryan has been jibber jabbering a lot lately and it is so fun to hear. He says "da-doo", which Gary thinks is Tanner. He also says "dubba dubba dubba". I have no idea what that means but it sure is funny to hear it.
I wanted to type up what we did at Tanners party, so I am copying and pasting it from a letter I sent to my brother. Here it is:

Tanner just turned five last week and I threw him a superhero party. I spent about a week preparing for it. I made capes and masks with sewn on stars for all the kids coming-about 15. I made coloring books and put together an obstacle course full of fun challenges. His party was a superhero training camp. They had to go to four stations and pass each off. The first station was an obstacle course that was meant to test their physical fitness. They had to jump over three big trucks, do a somersault, crawl through a tunnel and then run down the stairs and grab a star taped to the wall, then jump and tape the star above a line of blue tape. The second station they had to play I spy by locating objects all over the room to test their vision abilities. The third station I drew a large picture of Mr. incredible without his mask on. I cut out little masks out and we blindfolded them and had them play pin the mask on the superhero. This station was all about keeping your identity a secret and helping others to do the same. The fourth station I had printed off a bunch of pictures of different villains like the riddler, the joker and Syndrome and colored them and then taped them to cereal and pasta boxes. I placed them on the counter and handed the kids a nerf gun loaded with darts. They had to shoot down the boxes with the villains and avoid boxes that had pictures of heroes on them. After, they watched a “training video” that was superhero squad. While they watched, I called them into the kitchen and measured their heads to get their masks fitted. They all got a mask and cape and “instruction manual”, which was a coloring book. We had cupcakes and opened presents and then I shipped them back to their parents. Tanner had a lot of fun. He was dressed up as spiderman. It was fun and I am glad it is over!!

Karly just started gymnastics and LOVES it! She has such a blast and has already requested we build her a gymnastics room in the basement so she can practice. Keep dreaming sweet cheeks! I am glad she is having fun. I always wanted to do gymnastics when I was her age, but we just couldn't afford it. I'm grateful we found a place that isn't too expensive. She asks me to pick out her outfits every morning, or at least part of the outfit. It's really cute, and funny, cause I don't think this will last very long. Before long she will be so against my taste in clothes and insist on shopping for her own. She may be getting her ears pierced this next week. We told her almost two years ago that if she could keep her room clean for two whole weeks, she could get her ears pierced. It's taken a long time, but she will have accomplished it if she can get through the weekend and keep it clean through Monday. I'll keep you posted on the outcome!

We went swimming at the Legacy center yesterday, just the three younger boys and I with Aunt Vicki and Oakley. It was nice getting out of the house and doing something fun with my boys. I feel like we stayed couped up inside too often. After swimming we got lunch and then went home to get ready for our family get together. I made a new cupcake recipe that turned out pretty good. I am going to try it again today but cook it for less time to see if it is better. Hopefully I will also finish Karly's bedding this weekend as well.

More to come soon!!

0 comments: