Tuesday, February 15, 2011

When I grow up I want to be. . .

I feel like a really good mom today. Yesterday I got up and got the kids out the door and started cleaning up the house. Then I did some work for the business and then got ready for Karly's class party for Valentines day. This is the first time I have helped out in her class, ever. She was so excited to have me there and it made me happy to know I was "that" mom. You know who I mean. Anyway, after I got home, I made rice crispy treats with strawberry marshmallow and valentines sprinkles and then cut them out with heart shaped cookie cutters. After that I made chicken pot pie and cut out more small hearts out of the dough and placed them on top. I tried to give my kids a little something to show them my love for them on this "holiday of love". I also had my friends kids over while they went out for Valentines Day. Gary had class so he didn't get home till 8pm. We had dinner, I did a family night lesson on love, Gary gave the kids heart shaped boxes with chocolates and Jones soda's-they're new favorite thing, and we had family prayer and sent them to bed. I hadn't eaten since Gary came home late, so we sat down and ate dinner together and I gave him his card and a couple of gift certificates from Rocco's in Provo. He gave me a symphony bar and a mini container of Ben and Jerry's ice cream. I also made a special dessert that didn't completely work out but still tasted good. They were brownie tarts with a cream cheese and chocolate filling and blackberries on top. They were pretty good! After dinner, Gary said he wanted to unwind and watch some TV so I told him I was taking a bath. When I came upstairs, everyone was asleep except Evan. He was sitting in his bed still in his jeans and T-shirt; so I told him to quietly get up and come with me. I let him take a bath with me and just spent time holding him-something I really don't get to do much of lately. After his bath I lotioned him all up, put fresh pj's on, combed his hair and took him to bed. I read a couple books to him and then gave him a kiss goodnight. I was falling asleep reading so I got up and went straight to my bed and fell asleep. Gary had fallen asleep on the chair watching TV so he didn't come up till almost midnight.

This morning I woke up and did a load of laundry and then went into my kids bedrooms and helped them clean them and make their beds. We got dressed for the day, older kids took showers, and I cleaned the whole upstairs and vacuumed before school started. I did Karly's hair cute and even picked out an equally adorable outfit for her. We had scripture study, prayer, breakfast and then took the kids to school. I got my books up to date for work, had a planning meeting with Gary, put together a deposit, handled scheduling and now Gary is making dinner.
I just feel productive. It's so nice! Things are going pretty well. Sometimes I wish that I could be the mom that always has fun projects and crafts to do, has a beautifully decorated home that is some how always clean and impeccable, well dressed and accessorized kids, is well put together herself from hair style to clothing, and is so talented that there's nothing that thwarts her. Most of the time I just try to be mediocre mom who wears something other than pjs at least twice a week and changes those pjs after at most three days, gets one style haircut all the time but only twice a year, makes sure her kids are dressed in season appropriate clothes that are clean, has a house that is at least not a bio-hazard, tries to do at least one thing fun for a holiday even if it turns out lame, and makes sure to tell her kids they are loved at least once a day. Some say I am Super mom, but most of the time I really just feel like semi-super or almost super mom. I am not complaining at all. I love my life but I do hope that I can start adding more things here and there to make my kids lives more memorable and enjoyable. I just hope I don't embarrass them too much.
I know it's been a long time since I have posted, and that's because I was busily planning Tanner's superhero party, working on my daughters quilt-almost finished, yeah!-and fighting the flu. We have also been having a lot of "drama" in family matters and I haven't had the energy to write because drama is draining!! Anyway, drama is still there but we are ignoring it and hoping it will die out eventually. We never should have gotten involved, but hindsight is 20/20. At least we have each other, right?!
I am just grateful that the flu is now out of our house, my upstairs is clean, my downstairs is almost clean, I am close to the end of a project, I have the gospel and I have my family and friends. Also, my laundry is almost under control!!!
Quick funny story. I came down with influenza on Friday and was floored. Karly called me from school to come get her cause she was sick and I didn't have anyone else that could get her. So, I showed up in all my glory; ponytail that was lopsided and hair falling all over, pjs with a huge tear, my big grey boots, a running shirt with stains, no bra, and a jacket thrown over the top to hide the no-bra issue. I'm sure the office staff had a good chuckle after I left. Luckily for Karly, she had to come to the office so I didn't expose my self to any of her friends to spread the ridicule.
Life is too short for drama. Live your life with happiness in your heart always and a love for those around you, even the strangers!

1 comments:

Amy Beatty said...

Lisa, I love you! I miss you and your kids. I love reading your posts!! You write in a way I totally understand and can relate too. I feel as though we are star-crossed lovers, never to be together. We will find a way :)someday soon I hope xo