Monday, October 4, 2010

What were you thinking?

I had started writing this post yesterday after conference and wasn't able to finish because Gary needed my help in the kitchen. Of course, he shut down the computer last night and never told me, so he deleted all my hard work! Anyway, what is done is done and we must move on. There is an awesome thunder storm rolling over my house right now. I love this kind of weather. It makes me want to make soup, read a book and drink hot chocolate-oh and make all my kids do the same or put them to bed. That can't happen today cause I have extra chitlins! I will be making the chicken noodle soup though! So yesterday I was in a baking mood and made banana bread during breakfast time and then made pumpkin bars with cream cheese frosting during lunch. Gary took the older three boys to see his sister so I decided to clean up while they were gone. I then realised that I should bake some french bread to go with our spaghetti that night, so I got to work. When I finished kneading it-with Karly's help-I placed it back in the bowl and covered it with saran wrap. I set the timer for 15 minutes and then sat down to watch conference and feed Ryan. When the timer went off I wasn't done so I asked Karly to punch down the bread. I told her where it was-which she ignored and asked me a second time where it was-and told her to make sure to cover it again when she was done. When she came back into the front room to sit down, I asked her what time it was. She asked why and I explained that I needed to know so that I could punch down the bread again in 15 minutes. She went into the kitchen to look at the clock and then asked, "Mom, is the bread in this bowl?" I replied that it was and then proceeded to ask her what bread she thought I was talking about. I got up and came into the kitchen and found that all my banana bread had been punched. I guess I should have said "dough" instead of "bread"-but come on, she's 7! Why would I ask her to do such a thing? Amelia Bedelia anyone? So I told her it was my fault and that in the future, if I ever asked her to do something that she thought was odd, to please double check before proceeding. I am happy to report that the banana bread was just as delicious, it had that extra "punch" to it that really made it good!

1 comments:

Amy Beatty said...

That is funny Lisa! It also makes me miss you sooooo much and your cute kiddies