We had a very small pumpkin party-small in comparison to past years. I didn't want to do it this year because I hadn't planed it well and I didn't want to deal with the added stress. Gary, of all people, pushed me to follow through with it. So we invited my sisters and a few neighbors and it turned out really good! We had great food and good times. If anyone reading this was not invited, please don't be upset. It was extremely last minute and thrown together. Anyway, it went well and was followed by Kaleb's birthday party on Thursday. We went to Lazer Assault in Provo-super awesome and fun-and then to Coney's. We had gift certificates from city deals so that made it much more bearable! We took the three Draschil boys, Kaleb's friends Cossette, Tomas and Spencer from school and Tristan. They all had a blast. Kaleb had his lip split open and a nice fat lip resulting from a confrontation from a fellow teammate-will-during the fight. It still looks pretty bad but he's fine. At Coney's we got to enjoy some excitement when Tristan stuck his finger into a decorative hole on his seat and got it stuck. He couldn't pull it out but luckily Gary had his tools. Nate did take a picture that I will have to get and post to this eventually. Anyway, we tried soap, ice and cold not get it to budge! Finally, Gary used his tin snips to cut around the hole and separate it from the seat. Then the guys took him into the bathroom to try to get it out with soap. This still did not work so he had to cut close to the finger and then break it off. We got the kids home sooo late that night and I felt so bad!
The next day I had a murder mystery party to attend and was quickly trying to put together our roaring 20's costumes. I was sitting on the ground, using my sewing machine's start stop button instead of the pedal, sewing Gary's spats-white shoe covers with buttons up the side. I was sewing away and Ryan was crawling around me on the carpet. I pulled a pin and set it to the side and when I turned back, Ryan was trying to grab the foot and needle while it was running. I quickly grabbed his hand but wasn't quite fast enough. I pulled his hand back and didn't know that the needle had already gone through and as I pulled it back, the needle broke off. I looked and saw the part of the needle that had gone through sticking out the front of his palm between his pointer and middle finger on the right hand. Of course I freaked out, began crying and called Gary and then my sister Vicki. I ran him down to the urgent care by our house and was in tears when the doctor came out to look at it. Of course he consoled me and got Ryan to laugh. Ryan only cried for about 5 minutes total. I didn't know what was going to happen, and I did try pulling it out myself but it seemed pretty stuck and only made Ryan cry more. We went back and the Doctor simply grabbed the end protruding with a pair of clamping tweezers, pulled once and it came free with no problems. Ryan barely flinched. Of course I began to apologize for wasting there time for such a minor cure. I felt like a moron but they assured me I did the right thing and you never know what to do in things like this. I got to keep the broken needle piece. It is about 1/2 an inch; maybe a bit smaller. He's fine, a bit of swelling and redness, but other than that, he is fine. I of course needed a cherry coke to calm my nauseated stomach and my headache from the adrenaline rush. Two finger/hand injuries in two days. Halloween was uneventful in that department, thankfully.
On Saturday we went to the shop and recycled a ton of metal from old AC and furnaces and a bunch of water heaters and old appliances. We were able to make enough money to go buy the kids their season passes at Sundance for this ski season! Karly also got a helmet that was super pricey, even on sale. Well, that is all I am writing for now cause my dinner is waiting. More to come!
Tuesday, November 2, 2010
Finger fumbling and hand hazards
Posted by crazy christensen family at 4:05 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




0 comments:
Post a Comment