Friday, December 17, 2010

Tortillas can really ruin a day!

So my day started out with me getting up at 5am to go to my neighbors to watch her kids. She gets home at 7 am but her husband has to leave at 5 for work-so I occasionally go over to help. I went over and stood at the door knocking with no answer. So I trudged back home and tried to go back to bed-was somewhat successful but not completely. Gary had had a bad day the day before and today was not looking much better. We were having friends over to dinner and needed to pick up tortillas. I had asked him to do it, but could see that it was going to be an issue. So I told him I would drive into Provo and do it. I decided that it was just one store, so I stayed in my yoga pants splattered with paint and my long sleeve grey shirt with no bra, threw on my sweater and boots and headed out. On my way to Provo, I remembered that I wanted to get more apples from Good Earth cause they were on sale, we were out, and it was right there. So yes, I stopped and went in in all my glory. I got a few looks. Part of the problem may have been that two of my boys were not wearing shoes and one of them looked like he was homeless cause he was wearing one pink shoe-Karly's-and one brown croc, hair in desperate need of a cut, and face not especially clean. Yes, I was showing our true colors to the world today!

After that jaunt, I remembered that I needed to get a picture cd from my sis-in-law, the awesomely talented Allison with Pretty Pictures and her studio was two blocks away. The photo needed to be printed and framed as part of my parents Christmas gift. We sifted through CDs and found the ones we were looking for. She told me that Myron had a callback on a job that afternoon in SLC, but he was in Provo helping Reid and Gary. Reid had picked him up and she was stressed about him getting back in time to get to his interview. So I added that to my plate by offering to take him back since it was on my way. I also took Addie with me so she and Tanner could play together on the errand runs. I left her place and noticed an Allens camera on my way so I stopped in quickly, uploaded the photos and ordered them. I got back on the road and headed to Yulia's to pick up my Azure order. Stopped in and picked up my items and then went to pick up a check for Gary from a customer-who wasn't there. Looked at the clock and realized that Addie would not be back in time for lunch so I picked up lunch for her and the kids and Gary and Reid. Went to pick up Myron and headed back to AF to quickly get Addie to pre-school and Myron home. During this time from Allison's studio and back to the pre-school I was on the phone with multiple people for work-suppliers, customers, etc. Did you notice something I missed? The tortillas! Yes, I forget to get the tortillas in my rushing and working by phone. SO I dropped off Myron at home and then ran back to AF to get my photos and stopped back at the studio to order some more frames for these adorable shots! Left there to come home and remembered that I had arranged a play date for Tanner with his friend Reid that he had been trying to get together with all week. So I call them on my way home and offer to pick him up. As he is getting in the car, Evan starts to get upset about not having a friend, so I offer to see if his friend from Nursery can come play. Now I only know the moms name, and she is the nursery teacher but I don't know her daughters name. so I knock on the door and ask if her daughter wants to come over and play. She does, and her mom, Rebecca, tells me she will come up after when her son wakes up. So I get home just after 3 with all these kids in tow, and start picking up. Kaleb calls me from school and asks if his friend Thomas can come over. SO I tell him that is fine as long as he finishes his chores as soon as he gets here. I had called Gary and he said he would get the tortillas. I am busily cleaning up when Rebecca knocks on my door.
Now I need to take a break here to explain something. I feel like I am so blessed. This beautiful big home I live in, in a magnificent location, a wonderful husband that I am so in love with, most of the time, and five-yes, five awesome and amazing kids. Not to mention that we have a business that is providing a comfortable living for us and we have our health. There are so many blessings that I feel so fortunate for and I feel the need to do all that I can to show my gratitude for them. So I feel like one way I can do that is by serving others and fellowshipping. I feel like it's a calling. Like I need to befriend all those that have moved into the ward and let them know someone is thinking about them and interested in getting to know them. So I have people's kids over to give them a break, I have people over for dinner to get to know them and help them ease into the ward easier, and find other ways that may help them. This way, I feel like I am showing my gratitude to Heavenly Father and hopefully am worthy of the blessings I have and may continue to receive.
So, I feel like Rebecca is one of these people. She and her husband moved in this summer into their new home that they built on a street with no one else around. There are vacant lots surrounding them. Since they were put into nursery, they don't have as many opportunities to meet people. She is super nice, so I wanted to take some time to get to know her. Anyway, she came over and stayed over to chat until 4:30. At this point, I realize it is time for wrestling. I had received a call from Carrie-who was coming over for dinner that night-informing me that Canyon, her son, had a tummy ache and would not be going to wrestling but they were still planning on dinner. This was fine, but now I had to take Kaleb myself. So I jumped in the car and had Reid and Thomas jump in so I could drop them off on the way back from dropping off Kaleb. I didn't put my shoes on cause I was in a hurry and I figured I was just dropping him off. So I head out with my car full of children and I get a call from Gary. He tells me where he is at with the schedule and informs me that he is trying to get home in time for dinner with our guests. Then he asks if I can get the tortillas so that he can get home sooner. So I say sure. I get off the phone and realize that Ryan is asleep and because I don't have shoes on and do have a car full of kids-two not being my own- that I need to send Karly into the store to get them. So I drop off Kaleb and head over to Smiths. I parked the car and gave Karly specific instructions about where the corn tortillas were, how to ask a worker for help and general instructions about only getting the tortillas, not talking to strangers or going anywhere else except to the checkout stand. I was totally nervous the whole time she was gone and began stressing after 15 minutes passed and she had still not come back. I was almost ready to ask a random mother with kids to sit in my car while I ran in barefoot with my painted capri's and bra-less top ensemble. Finally after 25 minutes she came out with a plastic bag in hand. I called to her and she ran to me and asked,"You wanted tortilla chips?" I was so relieved that she was okay but so angry that I still had no tortillas. I was so frustrated. It was 5:45, I still had kids that needed to get home-I had texted there moms and told them I would drop them off after I took Kaleb-and I was no where ready to have people over for dinner at 6:30. I looked in the grocery bag and she handed me back a dollar and some change from the six dollars I had given her. There in the bottom was a kit kat and a pack of gum. I asked her what this was and she informs me she got them for Dad. I was livid cause now I have expensive tortilla chips and not enough cash to buy a bag of tortillas. I told her that she can't buy things with other peoples money without permission. I was so angry but I was more angry at the situation, my day, and a bit at Gary. I apologized to Karly for asking her to do something she was obviously not old enough to do yet. To this she replied, "I forgive you mom." Oh, I was so mad cause not only did she waste my time and my money but I was still tortilla-less, and I bit my tongue to avoid saying something to hurt her feelings. So I drove all the kids home and when I got home I ran inside and started the rice. It was 6:05 and I needed to leave to get Kaleb but I needed to get this on the stove so it had time to cook before they got there. So I quickly threw the rice together and then got all the kids back in the car to go get Kaleb. We picked him up 20 minutes late but he was okay, thank goodness. He had gone back into wrestling to watch the older kids for a while. I drove home quickly, called Carrie to let her know we were back, and ran upstairs to throw on some deodorant and actually get dressed with a bra before they got there. When they came in, I apologized profusely for not having dinner ready for them and the house still being a bit messy. Carrie was a sweetheart and quickly helped Kaleb de-bone the chicken while I threw things across the counter and speedily chopped up toppings for tacos and cooked beans and tortillas. Gary took over tortilla making when he got home. Oh, you wonder where the tortillas came form? Well, I had the Costco flour tortillas that you have to cook, in the fridge. We were supposed to have tostadas for dinner and that requires corn tortillas and frying. So I had to alter the menu, but it all worked out in the end. Canyon still wasn't feeling well when they came over and threw up at the dinner table. That was fun. I felt worse for him and his family than the fact that he threw up. It didn't bother me. They quickly got him taken care of and her husband and I and Gary were all cleaning up the throw up. She grabbed a cup of sprite to bring him in the bathroom and Karly ran into her and knocked that all over the floor right after the other mess was cleaned up. I thought it was pretty comical and kind of was a fitting end to the day I had. We had a lot of fun getting to know them and spending time with their family. After they left, we piled the kids in the car and ran down to Payson to look at a fridge Gary had been working on. We got back at 11:30 and I went upstairs and crashed hard. This was my day. And there are still no corn tortillas to show for it! I did get my parents present finished and now I just have to finish wrapping it! Chalk up one more super long post for Lisa!! Aah, memories.

0 comments: